These Greek-style vegetarian sausage rolls are perfect served as an entree or as a light lunch. They can be frozen and put in the oven whenever needed.
- 16 sheets filo pastry
- 100 g butter, melted
- 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- Tzatziki, lemon wedges and Greek salad, to serve
- 1 bunch silverbeet (1.2 kg), stems discarded, leaves washed, shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250 g fresh ricotta
- 200 g Greek feta, crumbled
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make filling, heat a deep, large, non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add silverbeet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until wilted. Transfer to a sieve. Press to remove as much liquid as possible. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat oil in same frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add to silverbeet. Cool.
- Stir in ricotta, feta, parmesan, egg and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place one sheet of filo on a clean bench. Brush with a little butter. Repeat layering with another 3 sheets of filo, brushing in between with butter. Spoon 1 cup of filling evenly down the length of one long edge of pastry. Roll up to enclose filling. Cut evenly into four rolls.
- Repeat process with remaining pastry, butter and filling to make another 12 rolls. Brush tops with a little butter. Sprinkle with parmesan. Place on two large oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 minutes, or until light golden brown and crisp.
- Serve warm rolls with tzatziki, lemon wedges and Greek salad.
Uncooked rolls can be prepared up to one day ahead. Keep, covered, in the fridge or freeze for up to two months. Cook rolls from frozen, allowing extra cooking time.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||11.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||22.8 g|
|- Sugars||2.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.9 g|