Recipe by: New Idea
The ideal not-too-heavy Australian Christmas starter is the prawn cocktail. Make it at its traditional best with this prawn cocktail recipe. It's so easy!
- 48 cooked tiger prawns (1.5 kg)
- 2 baby cos lettuces
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled, chopped
- 5 radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp horseradish cream
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make seafood sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- Peel 8 prawns, leaving tails intact, and devein. Set aside to garnish. Peel and devein remaining prawns. Cut in half.
- Shred lettuces. You’ll need 4 cups. Place in a large bowl with halved prawns, avocado and radishes. Toss gently. Divide half the prawn mixture among eight glass serving dishes (2-cup capacity). Drizzle evenly with half the cocktail sauce, about 1 tbsp in each. Repeat with remaining prawn mixture and cocktail sauce.
- Garnish cocktails with reserved prawns.
Seafood sauce can be made two days ahead. Keep, covered, in the fridge. Prawns can be purchased a day ahead. Store, covered, in the coldest part of the fridge.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||2.8 g|
|- Sugars||2.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.7 g|