Serve these refreshing treats in cute mismatched glasses for a finishing touch to a lovely dinner party. With a drop of hazelnut liqueur, they're a delight!
- 600 ml thickened cream
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 395 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 litre boiling water
- 3 tbsp instant espresso coffee powder
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 tsp hazelnut liqueur (optional)
- To make vanilla ice-cream, put cream and vanilla in the small bowl of an electric mixer and whip until starting to thicken to soft peaks. With motor running, drizzle in condensed milk and whip until soft peaks form. Transfer to a 2-litre container suitable for freezing. Freeze overnight or up to 2 weeks ahead of serving.
- To make coffee granita, put boiling water in a large heatproof jug and add coffee (see tip, below). Add sugar and honey, then stir until dissolved. Pour 1 cup of the coffee mixture into another heatproof jug. Add cocoa and stir until combined and smooth. Set both aside to cool until lukewarm.
- Put jug of chocolate coffee mixture in fridge to chill. Pour remaining coffee mixture into a shallow metal tin or lamington tin and carefully place, level, in freezer. After 2-3 hours, when mixture begins to freeze but is not frozen hard, use a fork to rake into shaved slushy ice. Return to freezer for 2 more hours and repeat.
- Freeze overnight and rake mixture to form shavings of ice. At this stage, granita can be spooned into a large container, sealed and kept in the freezer for up to 2 days.
- Place heaped spoonfuls of coffee granita into either small ⅔-cup capacity glasses or for a larger serve, 1-cup capacity glasses, until halfway up sides. Top with a small to medium scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Add hazelnut liqueur, if using, to chocolate coffee mixture and drizzle over ice-cream. Serve immediately.
tip You can use 1L of your favourite plunger or percolated coffee instead of instant coffee granules. Dutch-processed cocoa powder is available from supermarkets.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||19.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||37.5 g|
|- Sugars||34.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.7 g|