Recipe by: Create Bake Make
- Serves 4
If you love your hot cross buns (and let's face it, who doesn't?), then you'll love this vanilla custard-soaked hot cross bun pudding by Create Bake Make.
- 8 hot cross buns, each cut horizontally into three pieces
- 75 g butter, softened
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 300 ml cream
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Spread each side of the hot cross bun pieces with butter.
- Place the hot cross bun pieces into a 20cm square baking dish, making sure the tops of the buns (the side with the crosses) are on top.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla extract and caster sugar. Add the milk and cream, and whisk well to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the hot cross buns in the dish and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, pre-heat your oven to 180C.
- Place the baking dish containing the hot cross buns into a large roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with hot water until it is approximately halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Carefully place into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the pudding is golden brown and the custard has set.
- While your pudding is cooking you can make the apricot glaze. Simply place the apricot jam into a microwave-safe bowl and add a tablespoon of water. Cook for 20 seconds on high (you want to warm the jam) and then mix with a fork until smooth and combined.
- Once the pudding is out of the oven, use a pastry brush to carefully brush jam mixture on top.
You can omit the apricot glaze if you prefer.
It’s best to use stale hot cross buns for this recipe.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||33.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||89.8 g|
|- Sugars||49.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.7 g|