Next time the family request minced meat tacos or burritos, change things up and cook this pork and bean medley instead. It's on the table in under 30 minutes.
- 600 g pork strips
- 40 g sachet Mexican seasoning
- 800 g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 400 g canned black beans, drained
- 8 tortillas, heated
- 120 g mixed salad leaves
- sour cream, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
- Toss pork with 1 tbsp of the seasoning.
- Boil, steam or microwave pumpkin until almost tender. Drain well.
- Heat an oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add pork in four batches. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in same clean frying pan over a medium to low heat. Add onion and capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add beans with pumpkin, remaining seasoning and ½ cup water. Stir until hot. Stir in any pork resting juices.
- Serve pork mixture with tortillas, salad leaves, sour cream and lime wedges.
Don’t overcook pumpkin when boiling or steaming, or it will break up in the frying pan.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||79.1 g|
|- Sugars||12.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||15.5 g|