- Serves 14
Using rolled oat's and a little toasted breakfast cereal, this sweet dessert slice recipe is a lot healthier for you than it tastes. It's a great autumn treat!
- 80 g (½ cup) wholemeal plain flour
- 75 g (½ cup) self-raising flour
- 70 g light margarine
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) low-fat milk
- 500 g white-fleshed plums, flesh sliced
- 350 g Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered, cored, thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 40 g (1 cup) Kellogg's Special K lightly toasted rice and whole wheat cereal flakes
- 45 g (½ cup) rolled oats
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 egg (60g), lightly whisked
- 1 tbsp prepared light vanilla custard
- Preheat oven to 190°C (fanforced). Line a 16 x 26cm (base measurement) lamington pan with baking paper, allowing it to overhang the sides.
- To make base, combine flours in a medium bowl. Add margarine and, using fingertips, rub in until well combined. Stir in milk (mixture is wet). Spread mixture over lined pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until base is lightly golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, put the plums, apples, sugar, water, cinnamon and ginger in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 8-10 minutes or until fruit is soft. Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- To make crumble topping, combine Special K, oats, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Stir in honey and egg.
- Spoon filling over base of prepared pan. Top with crumble. Bake for 15 minutes or until crumble is golden. Set aside in pan for 20 minutes. Carefully lift out onto a board; cut into pieces. Serve warm, or at room temperature. Serve with custard, if desired.
Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
PER SERVE (slice only): 586kJ, protein 3g, total fat 3.4g (sat. fat 0.8g), carbs 23g, fibre 3g, sodium 80mg • Carb exchanges 1½ • GI estimate medium
PER SERVE (with custard): 658kJ, protein 4g, total fat 3.5g (sat. fat 0.9g), carbs 26g, fibre 3g, sodium 99mg • Carb exchanges 12⁄3 • GI estimate medium
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||23.8 g|
|- Sugars||13.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.4 g|