An easy-to-make weekday favourite – ready in 30 mins! With zucchini, frozen peas, and kalamata olives, this tomatoey chicken is bursting with exciting flavours.
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 85 g (⅓ cup) Doongara rice
- 400 g canned no-salt-added chopped tomatoes
- 185 ml (¾ cup) salt-reduced chicken stock or gluten-free stock
- 250 g skinless chicken breast fillet, trimmed of fat, cut in half lengthways through middle
- olive oil cooking spray
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 zucchini coarsely grated
- 75 g (½ cup) frozen peas
- 6 Kalamata olives, pitted, cut into thin wedges
- 50 g (2 cups) fresh baby spinach leaves
- lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion starts to soften. Increase heat to high and add rice. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and stock. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a chargrill pan on medium-high. Spray chicken on both sides with cooking spray and sprinkle with pepper. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Set aside.
- Add zucchini and peas to the rice mixture and stir to combine. Cover and cook for a further 3 minutes or until rice is almost absorbed. Stir in olives and spinach. Toss until warmed through and spinach just wilts. Shred chicken and combine with rice mixture. Serve with lemon wedges, if using.
PER SERVE 1860kJ, protein 37g, total fat 9g (sat. fat 1.6g), carbs 48g, fibre 10g, sodium 491mg • Carb exchanges 3¼ • GI estimate low • Gluten-free option
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||47.0 g|
|- Sugars||9.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||6.2 g|