These cheesy onion and ham crepes with balsamic glazed-tomatoes create a restaurant-quality meal you can whip up at home. They're seriously impressive!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp wholemeal plain flour
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) skim milk
- 10 g finely grated Parmesan
- 30 g (¼ cup) reduced-fat grated cheese
- 60 g salt-reduced leg ham shavings
- 25 g (1 cup) fresh baby spinach leaves
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 40 g (¼ cup) wholemeal plain flour
- egg yolk (from 60g egg)
- 125 ml (½ cup) skim milk
- cooking spray
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Stir well. Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the onion is very tender.
- Meanwhile, to make crepes, put flour, egg yolk and milk in a bowl. Whisk until well combined. Spray a small non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Heat the pan over medium heat. pour in enough batter to swirl and coat the base of the pan. Cook for 1 minute or until lightly golden underneath. Turn and cook for a further 15 seconds. Transfer crepe to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat to make 4 crepes in total.
- Add sugar and vinegar to the onion mixture and increase heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk flour and milk in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until sauce thickens. Simmer for 1 minute. Stir in cheeses and ham.
- Lay out crepes on a clean surface. Divide ham and cheese sauce between each crepe. Top with onions and half the spinach. Fold crepes and place 2 on each plate. Serve with tomatoes and remaining spinach leaves.
PER SERVE 1558kJ, protein 23g, total fat 12.2g (sat. fat 4.9g), carbs 38g, fibre 8g, sodium 341mg • Carb exchanges 2½ • GI estimate low
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||41.7 g|
|- Sugars||21.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.4 g|