- Serves 6
A hearty vegetable soup, capsicums & tomatoes are roasted in the oven, giving the soup a rich, smoky flavour. Served with a side of bread, it's a winter winner.
- 750 g vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
- 3 red capsicums (600g), quartered
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- pepper, to season
- fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
- creme fraiche, to serve
- crusty bread, to serve
- Cut tomatoes into quarters. Cut capsicums into quarters, discarding seeds.
- Toss tomatoes and capsicums in 2 tbsp of the oil and vinegar in a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in a very hot oven (220C) for about 45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Heat remaining oil in a stockpot over a medium heat. Add onions, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in paste.
- Add stock, roasted vegetables and pan juices. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Blend soup in two batches until smooth. Return to stockpot. Reheat until hot.
- Garnish soup with pepper and thyme. Serve with creme fraiche and crusty bread.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||13.5 g|
|- Sugars||9.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.5 g|