- Serves 40
This light fruit cake topped with marzipan is a popular European Easter treat. Sweet, spicy and oh-so scrumptious, your family will love this Easter cake.
- cooking spray
- 200 g Sunbeam Gourmet Selection mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, finely chopped
- 140 g unsweetened apple puree
- 80 g light margarine, melted
- 3 tbsp brandy, warmed
- 3 x 60 g eggs
- 80 g (½ cup) wholemeal plain flour
- 40 g (¼ cup) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 200 g ready-rolled marzipan
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tsp brandy, extra
- Preheat oven to 140˚C (fan-forced). Spray a 4cm-deep, 18cm (base measurement) round cake pan with cooking spray. Line the base and side with baking paper.
- Put dried fruit, chopped apple, apple puree, margarine, brandy, eggs, flours and mixed spice in a large bowl. Mix until well combined. Chop 60g of the marzipan and mix into batter. Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake cake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan to cool slightly, then transfer cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- On a clean surface dusted with icing sugar, roll remaining marzipan out until large enough to line the top of the cake. Brush marzipan with extra brandy and roll it onto the top of the cake, trimming to fit. Decorate as desired.
You can store the cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 months.
PER SERVE 283kJ, protein 1g, total fat 2.2g (sat. fat 0.4g), carbs 9g, fibre 1g, sodium 25mg • Carb exchanges 2⁄3 • GI estimate medium
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||10.2 g|
|- Sugars||7.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.7 g|