Try something a little different with this low-fat, spiced eggplant and date tagine. With green beans and tomatoes, it's a flavoursome, budget-friendly dinner.
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 medium-sized eggplants, roughly diced into 4cm cubes
- 1 - 2 tbsp ras el hanout spice mix, or to taste
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup chopped pitted dates
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes
- 500 ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 400 g green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 1 ½ cups couscous
- 1 tbsp shredded preserved lemon rind
- Preheat a large heavy-based pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onion and cook slowly for 10 min. Add eggplant, spice mix and thyme, cook for 2-3 min or until the eggplant is well coated with spices.
- Add dates, tomatoes and stock. Cover and cook for 10-15 min or until eggplant is tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir through beans, couscous and preserved lemon. Cover and stand for 5-8 min or until liquid is absorbed. Serve with chopped fresh coriander and mint, and extra preserved lemon if desired.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||66.6 g|
|- Sugars||19.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||12.0 g|