Try a cupcake that will really surprise guests! These pretty cupcakes are topped with cream and cubes of strawberry-flavoured jelly. Great at kids' parties.
- 125 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup milk
- 85 g packet strawberry-flavoured jelly crystals
- ¾ cup boiling water
- ⅔ cup cold water
- 300 ml tub thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. Transfer to a large bowl. Add flour and milk in two batches. Stir until smooth. Spoon evenly into prepared cases.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove from oven.
- Dissolve jelly crystals in boiling water in a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in cold water.
- Pierce warm cupcakes all over with a skewer or toothpick. Slowly pour 1 tbsp jelly mixture over each cupcake. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Pour remaining jelly into a 20cm square cake pan lined with baking paper. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or until set.
- Beat cream and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Lift jelly from pan. Cut into 1cm cubes. Decorate cupcakes with cream and jelly.
While jelly is setting in fridge, cover the cooled cupcakes, or store in an airtight container.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||12.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||30.5 g|
|- Sugars||20.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.4 g|