For a budget-friendly dinner that still packs a strong punch, try this flavoursome vegan tagine recipe with cauliflower, zucchini and lots of herbs & spices.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 600 g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 400 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
Apricot and almond couscous
- 1 ½ cups couscous
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- ½ cup chopped roasted almonds
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- To make couscous, bring 2¼ cups water to boil in a large saucepan. Add couscous. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, deep, nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add cauliflower, zucchini, cumin and paprika. Cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Gently boil, covered, for about 10 minutes, or until cauliflower is just tender. Cook, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add apricots, almonds and juice to couscous in bowl. Stir to combine.
- Serve couscous with tagine. Garnish with parsley.
Try replacing zucchini with green beans and adding a can of drained chickpeas to tagine.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||94.9 g|
|- Sugars||21.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||14.4 g|