Full of fruity flavour, this apple and almond crumble loaf is a budget-friendly recipe to make at the beginning of the week and enjoy for the next few days!
- 150 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 400 g canned sliced pie fruit apples
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- 50 g unsalted butter, melted
- Grease a 14cm x 24cm large loaf pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 10cm above pan edges.
- To make almond crumble, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until mixture resembles large crumbs.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Mixture will look curdled at this stage. Transfer to a large bowl. Fold in sifted flour and buttermilk in two batches.
- Combine apples and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Spoon half the cake mixture into prepared pan. Spread over half the apples. Repeat layering with remaining cake mixture and apples. Sprinkle crumble over apples. Press down lightly.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve.
This loaf is best served at room temperature. It can be made up to three days ahead. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||11.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||50.6 g|
|- Sugars||28.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.6 g|