- Serves 24
A great idea for Mother's Day, these lemon & almond biscuits are perfect for an at-home high tea or to give away as a pretty gift. They're simple to make, too!
- unsalted butter, for greasing
- plain flour, for dusting
- 100 g unsalted butter, at room temperature, chopped
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup almond meal
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- 250 g tub mascarpone
- ½ cup lemon curd
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two 12-hole, flat-based, patty pan tins (see tips, below) with butter. Dust holes evenly with flour, then tip out excess. Put butter, sugar, zest and vanilla in the small bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating between additions, until just combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in self-raising flour, ground almonds and buttermilk until combined.
- Spoon mixture evenly into holes of prepared tins until approximately two-thirds full. Sprinkle almonds on top. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Cool in tins for 15 minutes before running a metal palette knife around edges to release, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine mascarpone and curd in a small bowl. Carefully cut the domed top off each cake. Place matching tops and bottoms on a tray. Fill a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle with lemon mascarpone and pipe onto cake bottoms. Replace cake tops, place on a serving plate and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Patty pans were the original size for cupcakes, slightly larger than a mini muffin but smaller than a standard muffin. We used flat-based tins (diameter 4cm, 40ml capacity) available from some kitchen stores or online. You can also use three 12-hole mini muffin tins to make 36 mini muffin-sized cakes.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||13.9 g|
|- Sugars||8.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.8 g|