This pretty layered berry cake is divided into three layers, separated by a creamy lemon curd. With a pinch of salt, there's a hint of edge to this classic.
- 170 g butter, softened
- 220 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 200 g plain flour
- 100 g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g punnet blueberries
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 80 g unsalted butter, cubed, chilled
- 2 lemons, juice and very finely grated zest
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line the base and side of a loaf tin (approximately 22 x 8 cm) with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With mixer on low, add vanilla seeds, lemon zest and buttermilk – don’t worry if the mixture looks like it has curdled.
- Sift in both flours, bicarbonate soda and salt, and whisk slowly. Spoon into prepared tin, smooth the top and bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the lemon curd filling while cake is cooling. Place whole eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a medium saucepan (off the heat) and whisk until smooth and combined. Add the butter, lemon juice and zest, place over a low heat and whisk slowly but continuously for 6-8 minutes until the curd thickens – do not increase the heat as the eggs may scramble. Remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl, covering the surface with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Cut cake into thirds horizontally and spread bottom two layers with half the curd. Replace layers and dollop remaining curd over top of cake. Sprinkle with blueberries and dust with icing sugar.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||17.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||72.1 g|
|- Sugars||43.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.8 g|