With cauliflower and potato, this Indian-spiced chicken curry is an absolute winter winner! Dairy-free, the curry uses a coconut milk and can be frozen.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 20 fresh curry leaves
- 2 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 250 g skinless chicken breast fillet, trimmed of fat, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 125 ml (½ cup) TCC canned light coconut milk
- 1 tsp Massel salt-reduced chicken-style stock powder
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 300 g low-GI potatoes, chopped
- 250 ml cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- Heat half the oil in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add curry leaves and mustard seeds and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until leaves are crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Add chicken to pan and cook for 2 minutes or until just browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the same saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until onion softens and starts to brown slightly. Remove half the onion from the pan and set aside. Add garam masala to remaining onion and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add half the cooked curry leaves mixture.
- Add coconut milk, combined stock powder and water, potato and cauliflower to the pan. Cover and simmer over a medium heat. Cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes or until p potato is just tender. Add chicken and zucchini. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Divide curry between shallow serving bowls. Combine reserved onion, mustard seeds and curry leaves in a small bowl. Spoon a little mixture over curry and serve.
PER SERVE 1652kJ, protein 37g, total fat 13g (sat. fat 5.5g), carbs 28g, fibre 9g, sodium 121mg • Carb exchanges 2 • GI estimate low
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||29.3 g|
|- Sugars||8.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||7.0 g|