This fresh, colourful & little-bit-different salad is perfect when you need to bring a plate or serve alongside a main. Plus, it has a gluten-free option, too.
- ½ bunch fresh beetroot
- 135 g (¾ cup) tricolour quinoa blend
- 375 ml 1 ½ cups) water
- 1 head (250g) broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, woody ends trimmed, finely chopped
- 50 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 100 g reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
Honey & mustard dressing
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard or gluten-free mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- black pepper, to season
- Trim leaves and stems from beetroot, leaving 2-3cm of stems attached. Put in a large saucepan and cover with plenty of cold water. Cover and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, for 40 minutes or until beetroot is tender when tested with a skewer. Drain well and set aside to cool. When beetroot is cool enough to handle, put on gloves and peel. Chop into small cubes and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add broccoli and asparagus. Cover and return to the boil. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain well. Set aside.
- To make dressing, whisk all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add broccoli, asparagus and dressing to quinoa. Toss to combine. Add beetroot and toss gently. Put in a shallow serving bowl. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and feta, season with pepper. Serve.
PER SERVE 1098kJ, protein 12g, total fat 12.8g (sat. fat 2.5g), carbs 23g, fibre 5.5g, sodium 271mg • Carb exchanges 1½ • GI estimate low • Gluten-free option
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||2.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||22.2 g|
|- Sugars||8.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.1 g|