- Serves 2
With an option for a gluten-free variation, this meatball recipe is extra delicious thanks to a combo of lean meats – pork & beef together mean extra flavour!
- 80 g extra-lean beef mince
- 80 g extra lean pork mince
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard or gluten-free mustard
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely grated, excess moisture squeezed out
- 2 tbsp finely shredded fresh basil leaves, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp finely shredded fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- pepper, to season
- ¼ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 400 g canned no-salt-added chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp Massel salt-reduced chicken-style stock powder
- 125 ml (½ cup) water
- 60 g bocconcini, sliced
- 2 x 60 g slices dark sourdough bread or gluten-free bread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190˚C (fan-forced). Combine minces, mustard, zucchini, basil and parsley in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Using your hands, shape into 6 even meatballs.
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, for 2 minutes or until browned. Transfer to 2 small ovenproof dishes and set aside. Add garlic to pan and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, stock powder and water. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce over meatballs. Put dishes on an oven tray and bake for 5 minutes. Remove tray from oven and place cheese over meatballs. Bake for a further 5 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and cheese is melted. Top with extra basil leaves, if using. Serve with bread.
Switch it up by replacing the Dijon with wholegrain mustard, and swap the zucchini with a carrot.
PER SERVE 1601kJ, protein 31g, total fat 13.2g (sat. fat 6g), carbs 33g, fibre 5g, sodium 477mg • Carb exchanges 2¼ • GI estimate low • Gluten-free option
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||29.6 g|
|- Sugars||7.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||7.1 g|