Enjoy a lean family roast dinner with peppercorn, orange and parsley-seasoned lamb, and a crisp side salad of green beans, broccoli and slivered almonds.
- ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 450 g mini leg of lamb, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 eggwhite from 50 g egg, whisked
- 3 tsp drained dried green peppercorns, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh orange zest
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 200 g green beans, trimmed
- 1 bunch broccolini, ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- pepper, to season
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin slivers
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 x 30 g wholemeal rolls or sourdough rolls of 4 slices of gluten-free bread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200˚C (fan-forced). Line a small roasting pan with baking paper. Heat oil in a small non-stick frying pan. Add lamb and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning often, or until well browned. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Brush lamb all over with eggwhite. Combine peppercorns, parsley, orange zest and garlic on a large plate. Roll the lamb in parsley mixture, pressing any remaining mixture onto meat. Put lamb in prepared pan and roast for 25 minutes for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a shallow dish and set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the bean salad, bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Add beans and broccolini. Cook for 1 minute. Drain. Rinse under cold water and drain well. Pat dry with paper towel. Put in a bowl or container. Whisk orange juice and oil in bowl and season with pepper. Add to bean mixture with onion and toss to combine. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Slice lamb and serve with bean salad and bread rolls.
The lamb and salad will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.
PER SERVE 1562kJ, protein 37g,
total fat 15.4g (sat. fat 4.3g),
carbs 18g, fibre 8g, sodium 262mg
• Carb exchanges 1¼
• GI estimate low
• Gluten-free option
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||7.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||19.6 g|
|- Sugars||6.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.5 g|