Bold & fresh flavours make a delicious fiesta in this old favourite with a Mexican twist! Chunky tomato salsa tastes delicious under melted cheese & jalapeños.
- 175 g packet corn tortilla chips
- 1 tbsp Mild Mexican seasoning
- 2 x 300 g chicken breast fillets
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 300 g jar chunky medium salsa
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese block
- ⅓ cup drained, sliced jalapeno chillies
- ½ small iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed
- ranch dressing, to serve
- Place corn chips and seasoning in a food processor. Process until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a plate.
- Cut each fillet horizontally through the side to give two thin pieces. Dust in flour. One at a time, dip in eggs. Coat in corn chip mixture, pressing on lightly. Place on a tray.
- Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add chicken in two batches. Shallow-fry for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Transfer chicken to a large oven tray in a single layer. Spoon over salsa. Sprinkle with cheese. Scatter over jalapenos.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Serve chicken with combined lettuce and corn drizzled with ranch dressing.
Chicken fillets can be replaced with tenderloins or schnitzel steaks. Fajita, burrito or taco seasoning can be used to make the crumb mixture.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||43.9 g|
|- Sugars||3.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.0 g|