- Serves 8
Treat yourself with a slice of this zesty lemon semolina cake. Served with Greek yoghurt and drenched in a lemon & honey sugar syrup, it's perfect with a cuppa.
- 150 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup fine semolina
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup honey
- Grease a 22cm springform pan (base measures 20cm). Line base and side with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and rind in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Mixture will look curdled at this stage. Transfer to a large bowl. Fold in semolina, flour and yoghurt in two batches until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make syrup, combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Gently boil for about 7 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Remove cake from oven and leave it in the pan. Using a skewer, pierce hot cake all over, from the top to the base. Gradually pour over hot syrup, allowing it to soak in. Stand cake in pan for 15 minutes.
- Invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm with extra yoghurt.
This cake can be made up to one day ahead and served cold with custard.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||11.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||75.7 g|
|- Sugars||51.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.4 g|