- Serves 4
Pearl couscous makes for a filling side for these beef steaks. With fresh oregano, spinach and roasted vegies, it's a wonderful weeknight dinner winner.
- 4 x 150 g beef sirloin steaks, trimmed of excess fat
- 4 carrots, peeled, halved crossways and lengthways
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cups pearl couscous (250g packet)
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped fresh oregano
- 100 g fresh baby spinach leaves
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Boil carrots in a pan of water for about 6 minutes until just tender, adding onions in last minute of cooking. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, make couscous. Add couscous to a large saucepan of boiling water. Boil for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Combine with remaining ingredients.
- Heat a lightly oiled, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add beef. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Remove. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in same frying pan over a high heat. Add carrots and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from heat. Add vinegar.
- Serve beef with couscous, carrots and onions.
Couscous can also be made the day before and served cold. Leaving the root end attached to the onions helps to keep the wedges together.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||7.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||57.8 g|
|- Sugars||5.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||6.3 g|