- Serves 12
With tea infused into both the slice and the sauce, this bake is set to become your latest and greatest party piece. Perfect in winter, it's gooey & delicious.
- cooking spray, to grease
- 2 black tea bags, tags removed
- 250 g pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 80 g butter, chopped and softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅓ cups self-raising flour
- double cream, to serve
Tea-spiked caramel sauce
- 300 ml thickened cream
- ⅔ cup golden syrup
- 8 black tea bags, tags removed
- 120 g butter, chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan‑forced (200ºC conventional). Grease a 20cm square tin with cooking oil. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Put tea bags, dates and 400ml boiling water in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil. Add bicarb and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to cool to room temperature. Remove tea bags.
- Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat, using whisk attachment, for 4 minutes or until light and creamy. Beat in golden syrup and add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in cooled date mixture. Sift flour into mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and smooth surface with back of a spoon. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Meanwhile, to make tea-spiked caramel sauce, combine cream and golden syrup in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add tea bags and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to infuse. Remove tea bags.
- Put butter and sugar in another small pan and heat over a high heat, stirring until bubbling. Stir in cream mixture and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden brown and slightly thickened.
- Cut sticky date pudding into squares. To serve, put squares on serving platter and drizzle with caramel sauce and cream.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||16.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||66.0 g|
|- Sugars||54.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.8 g|