- Serves 6
This is a simple vegetarian pasta bake filled with cheese and tomato for that classic Italian flavour.
- 500 g penne pasta
- 2 cups shredded three cheese blend
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium eggplant (350g) trimmed, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini (300g) trimmed, chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 700 g tomato purée (passata)
- 2 x 400 g canned cherry tomatoes in tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsps drained, baby capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Lightly grease a rectangular, ovenproof dish (14-cup capacity).
- To make vegetable sauce, heat oil in a stockpot over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add eggplant, zucchini, chilli and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add sauce, tomatoes, water and capers. Season. Bring to boil. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove. Stir in basil.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain. Stir into sauce. Transfer to prepared dish. Sprinkle over cheese. Cover tightly with greased foil.
- Cook in a hot oven (200°c) for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Cook for a further 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove.
- Stand bake for 10 minutes before serving.
Vegetable sauce can be made up to one day ahead. Keep, covered, in the fridge. The cheese we used is a combination of mozzarellas, cheddar and romano.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||19.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||77.8 g|
|- Sugars||16.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||9.9 g|