- Serves 6
This chicken is cooked with a dash of vermouth for the perfect weeknight meal.
- 1.65 kg free-range whole chicken, cut into serving size portions
- 3 brown onions, thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- ½ cup dry vermouth
- 40 garlic cloves (3-4 large garlic knobs separated)
- Preheat oven to 180°c (160°c fan forced). Season the chicken well with salt, pepper and paprika. Heat a large heavy-based ovenproof casserole dish. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sear chicken, in batches, for 6-8 min over a medium heat, ensuring the pieces are well browned. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan, reduce heat and cook until tender. Add the tarragon, vermouth and 40g butter. Return all the chicken to the pan and add the garlic cloves, leaving the husks intact. Cover the surface with baking paper and then cover the pan with foil or the lid.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 min. Remove from the oven and scatter with extra fresh tarragon. Serve with crusty chargrilled bread or mashed potato and Beans Almondine.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||12.4 g|
|- Sugars||3.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.4 g|