This traditional steak & kidney pie recipe is a great idea for a family dinner. With crispy golden pastry & tender steak, it'll please everyone.
- 1 large onion, diced (each)
- 1 large carrot, diced (each)
- 1 cup button mushrooms, quartered
- 750 g gravy beef, cut into 2cm cubes
- 250 g lamb kidney (or beef kidney), diced
- ¼ cup plain flour, seasoned
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 (each) beef stock cubes
- 2 (each) bay leaves
- 1 ½ puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Spray a 1.5L capacity pie dish with cooking spray. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a
flameproof casserole pan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring, for 3-4 min, or until softened. Add mushrooms
and cook for 2 min, or until softened. Remove onion mixture and set aside.
- Dust beef and kidneys with seasoned flour, reserving any remaining flour. Add a further 1 tablespoon oil to pan and cook beef and kidneys for 3-5 min, or until browned. Return the onion mixture to the pan along with reserved flour and stir for 1 min
- Add tomato paste, stock cubes, bay leaves, 1¾ cups water and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hr, stirring occasionally. Uncover and simmer for a further 30-40 min, or until sauce is thick. Remove and let cool to room temperature.
- Spoon meat into the pie dish and lay the whole pastry sheet over the top, re-rolling slightly if needed, to cover completely. Trim the edges, leaving enough to press under the rim. Seal edges with a fork and then use remaining pastry to cut out shapes to decorate the pie. Make 2 slits in top and brush with beaten egg yolk. Bake for 25-30 min or until golden. Serve pie with steamed seasonal vegies.
Use a pie funnel if you have one. Place it in the centre of the pie filling, cut a hole in the centre of the pastry sheet before placing over the top of the pie, then decorate as desired. This pie is also great when topped with mashed potato.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||41.6 g|
|- Sugars||5.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.7 g|