You've had an apple strudel, prepare yourself for a delish pear & blueberry strudel! This German classic is wrapped in crisp golden pastry & drenched in caramel.
- 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries thawed
- 820 g canned pears in juice drained
- ¾ cup quick oats
- 10 sheets filo pastry sheets
- 100 g butter melted
- double cream to serve
Salted caramel sauce
- 300 ml tub thickened cream
- 75 g butter chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- To make sauce, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Gently boil, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Transfer to a heatproof jug. Cover.
- Meanwhile, place blueberries, pear slices, oats and 1/3 cup of the sauce in a large bowl. Stir until just combined.
- Layer pastry sheets together, brushing in between each sheet with butter.
- Spoon filling lengthways down the centre of the pastry, to form a log shape, leaving a 10cm border on long sides and 7cm on short sides. Fold in short sides, then starting at one long side, roll up to enclose filling. Place seam-side down on a large, greased oven tray. Brush with remaining butter.
- Cook in a hot oven (200°C) for about 30 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm strudel with warm sauce and cream.
Keep filo pastry covered with a clean tea towel, to prevent it from drying out.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||27.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||73.8 g|
|- Sugars||42.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.0 g|