- Serves 8
This cake is the ideal winter comfort food, combining chocolate cake with marshmallows – it's basically hot chocolate as a cake! It would taste delish with a glass of milk.
- 125 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup white marshmallows (100 g)
- 100 g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
- ⅓ cup pure cream
- Lightly grease a 22cm round springform pan (base measures 20cm). Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 4cm above pan edge.
- Place butter, water, sugar, and combined sifted cocoa and soda in a large saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Bring to boil.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Cool slightly. Add eggs and flour. Whisk until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove pan from oven.
- Place marshmallows in a single layer over top of cake, leaving a 2cm border around edge. Return pan to hot oven. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until marshmallows are lightly golden. Remove pan. Stand cake for 10 minutes. Remove side from pan. Slide cake onto a serving board.
- Meanwhile, make sauce. Place chocolate and cream in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth.
- Serve cake warm or cold with warm sauce.
Cake and sauce can be made up to one day ahead. Store cake in an airtight container at room temperature and store sauce, covered, in the fridge. Reheat sauce before serving.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||14.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||59.9 g|
|- Sugars||34.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.5 g|