- Serves 6
Only 10 minutes prep time before you toss ingredients into a slow cooker and let it cook. It's so easy, and the meat is deliciously tender at the end.
- 6 x 2 cm thick veal shanks
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 carrots, cut into 2 cm slices
- 1 bulb baby fennel, thickly sliced, fronds reserved to garnish
- 700 ml tomato purée
- 250 ml dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 6 sage leaves
- finely grated zest and juice ½ orange
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper to season
- mashed potato to serve
- ¼ clove garlic, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- Put veal or beef shin in the bowl of a 5L slow cooker. Top with onion, carrot and thickly sliced
fennel. Pour over passata and wine. Add fennel seeds, thyme, sage and orange zest and juice.
- Place the bowl in appliance, cover with lid and cook on low setting for 8 hours. Remove bowl from appliance, remove lid and season.
- Meanwhile, to make gremolata, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve osso buco on a bed of mashed potato, topped with thinly sliced fennel, gremolata and reserved fennel fronds.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||17.8 g|
|- Sugars||7.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.6 g|