A fancy, delectable cake with a nutty finish that everyone will love. This is sure to impress as a dessert at your next dinner party, or a fancy birthday cake treat.
- 125 ml extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp Dutch cocoa
- 250 ml sour cream
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup walnuts finely chopped
- chopped honeycomb pieces, to garnish
- 1 Tbsp Dutch cocoa, sifted
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
- 1 Tbsp light extra virgin olive oil
- Grease a 20cm round cake tin with extra oil. Preheat oven to 180°C fanforced
(200°C conventional). Put oil and sugars in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking after each addition. Sift in cocoa and whisk. Whisk in sour cream. Sift in flour then gently whisk until just combined
- Spoon 2 cups of the batter into the tin and smooth surface. Combine nuts, extra caster sugar and extra cocoa in a medium bowl. Scatter over batter in tin. Spoon remaining batter over the top. Smooth surface.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside for
15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Add icing ingredients and 2 Tbsp hot water to a large bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Trim cake so it sits level.
Transfer to a serving plate or cake stand. Spoon over icing, letting it drizzle down sides. Set aside for 30 minutes or until icing sets. To serve, garnish with honeycomb and extra walnuts.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||6.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||49.4 g|
|- Sugars||32.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.4 g|