- Serves 12
Yummy muffins can be eaten as a snack, for breakfast, brunch or dessert. So versatile!
- 160 g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 80 g self-raising flour
- 30 g lightly toasted rice and whole wheat cereal flake, roughly crushed
- 1 Royal Gala apple, quartered, cored, finely chopped
- 120 g frozen blackberries
- 2 Tbsp rolled oats
- 80 g brown sugar
- 310 ml buttermilk
- 40 g light margarine, melted, cooled
- 1 x 60 g egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Granny Smith apple, coarsely grated
- Preheat oven to 170°C (fan-forced). Line 12 x 80ml (1/3 cup) non-stick muffin pans with non-stick paper cases or paper cases and spray with cooking spray
- Combine the flours and Special K in a large bowl. Stir in the chopped apple and blackberries until well coated in the flour. Combine the rolled oats and 2 Tbsp of the brown sugar in a small bowl. Set aside. Add the remaining brown sugar to the flour mixture and stir well.
- Whisk the buttermilk, margarine, egg and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture with the grated apple and mix until combined. Spoon the mixture evenly between the muffin pans. Sprinkle the oat mixture over the top. Bake in preheated oven for 25-28 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Keep the muffins in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Alternatively, wrap muffins individually in plastic wrap and place in a resealable freezer bag. Expel any air. Label, date and freeze for up to 3 months.
Per Serve: 660kJ, protein 5g, fat 2.5g (sat. fat 0.8g), carbs 28g, fibre 3g, sodium 182mg. Carb exchanges: 2. Estimated GI medium.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||28.9 g|
|- Sugars||11.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.1 g|