- Serves 6
This classic winter dessert – with a raspberry and lemon twist – is a great way to use up leftover bread.
- melted unsalted butter, for greasing
- 75 g unsalted butter, softened
- 12 thick slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- icing sugar mixture, to decorate
- double cream to serve
- raspberries, to serve
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup cooking cream
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Brush melted butter over base and sides of a rectangular ovenproof dish (12-cup capacity).
- Spread softened butter onto one side of each bread slice. Cut in half. Arrange half the bread, buttered-side up in a single layer, slightly overlapping, over base of dish. Sprinkle over half the raspberries.
Repeat with remaining
bread and raspberries
- To make custard, whisk
eggs, egg yolks and
sugar in a large bowl.
Add milk, cream, rind, juice and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Pour over bread in dish. Cover with foil. Stand for 1 hour to soak. Uncover.
- Place dish in a large roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan for it to come halfway up the sides of the dish.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for 1 hour, or until custard is set and top is crisp and golden. Remove pan. Stand for 15 minutes
- Serve warm pudding dusted with sifted icing sugar. Serve with double cream and raspberries (optional).
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||13.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||92.4 g|
|- Sugars||54.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.5 g|