This deliciously tender veal parmigiana is everything you'd want in a weeknight Italian dish. Ready in a modest 40 minutes, and the whole fam will enjoy!
- 6 x 110 g uncrumbed veal schnitzels
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan
- ½ cup plain flour
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 420 g tomato and garlic pasta sauce, warmed
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- steamed baby potatoes to serve
- green beans, steamed, to serve
- Place each steak between two sheets of baking paper. Gently pound with a meat mallet to flatten slightly (about 5mm thick).
- Place eggs in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in a separate shallow dish. Dust veal in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake off excess. One at a time, dip veal in eggs, then in breadcrumbs, pressing to coat.
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat enough oil to shallow-fry over a medium to high heat. Add veal in three batches. Shallow-fry for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden. Remove. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Place veal in a single layer on a large oven tray lined with baking paper. Spoon over combined warm sauce and oregano. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Cook in a hot oven (200°C) for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish schnitzels with cracked black pepper. Serve with steamed potatoes and beans.
For a change, replace veal with chicken tenderloins, flattening them with a meat mallet.
Veal can be crumbed up to one day ahead. Keep, covered, in the fridge.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||5.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||44.7 g|
|- Sugars||7.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.3 g|