We love Italian meatballs, but why not try this Asian-style version? Soy sauce is a stand-out ingredient while mirin and chilli add extra, irresistible flavours
- 85 g Doongara rice
- 250 g extra-lean beef mince
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cm piece ginger, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 Tbsp skim milk
- 25 g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- olive oil spray
- 1 bunch baby bok choy, washed, ends trimmed, steamed, to serve
- sliced red chilli (optional) to serve
- ½ tsp cornflour
- 60 ml salt-reduced chicken stock
- juice, ½ lemon
- 2 tsp mirin
- 2 tsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 cm ginger, peeled, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fanforced). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cook the rice in a small saucepan of boiling water, following the packet directions, or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the mince, garlic, ginger, zucchini, milk, breadcrumbs and soy sauce in a medium bowl. Make small meatballs using 2 tablespoons of mixture, and place on the lined tray. Spray with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, combine cornflour and a little of the stock in a small saucepan. Stir in remaining stock, lemon juice, mirin, soy sauce and ginger. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the sauce comes to a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Divide the rice and bok choy between serving bowls. Top with the meatballs and drizzle over the sauce. Serve sprinkled with chilli, if you like.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||46.7 g|
|- Sugars||7.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.3 g|