This vegie dish pumps up the flavour with generous servings of pumpkin, plus delicious cheese and health-food-fave: kale. You'll return to this recipe!
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 700 g jar passata
- 1 salt-reduced chicken stock cube
- 375 ml boiling water
- 16 dried oven-ready cannelloni tubes
- 80 g reduced-fat grated cheese
- salad leaves, to serve
- 550 g piece jap pumpkin, unpeeled, cut into wedges, seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Meatballs: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Shape the mixture into balls (about 2 Tbsp each).
- Preheat oven to 170 C (fan-forced). Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 1-2 minutes, turning often, until just browned. Transfer to meatballs to a 2.5L (10 cup) ovenproof dish. Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes or until the onion softens slightly. Add the passata and combined stock cube and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the pasta to the dish with the meatballs and pour over the tomato sauce. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pasta is just tender. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the sauce and return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
PER SERVE: 1436kJ, protein 19g, fat 11.6g (sat fat 4.8g), carbs 37g, fibre 5g, sodium 521mg. Carb exchange 2 1/2. Estimated GI low. Gluten-free option.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||2.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||54.1 g|
|- Sugars||12.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.9 g|