This soup has got irresistible flavours that are so fab you'll come back for more.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 x 410 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 150 g tub basil pesto
- buttered toast, to serve (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onions, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, or until soft. Stir in paste.
- Add tomatoes, stock and chickpeas. Bring to boil. Gently boil, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover. Gently boil for a further 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in ¼ cup of the pesto.
- Serve soup with buttered toast and remaining pesto.
Replace chickpeas with cannellini beans. Try adding finely chopped bacon with the onions for a non-vegetarian option.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||16.1 g|
|- Sugars||8.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.4 g|