- Serves 24
It may be the only way you can get the kids to eat their greens… everyone will love this cleverly put together cake!
- 3 x 440 g packets chocolate cake mix
- 200 g ready-to-roll white icing
- chocolate biscuits, crushed
- sugar flowers
- edible vegetable garden cake toppers (see tip)
- mini chalkboard, to decorate
- 350 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
- 3 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
- 1 Tbsp milk
- green food colouring gel
- Grease two x 22cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 4cm above pan edges.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions, reserving icing sachets for another use. Divide between prepared pans. Smooth tops.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 5 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand in pans for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until pale. Beat in sugar, ½ cup at a time, until smooth. Beat in milk. Tint green with gel. Reserve 1 cup of frosting.
- Trim top of cakes to sit flat. Place one cake onto a cake board. Spread top with ½ cup frosting. Invert remaining cake on top. Spread remaining frosting over top and side of cakes.
- Knead icing on a clean bench until smooth. Roll out between two sheets of baking paper into a 14cm x 20cm rectangle, about 5mm thick. With long side facing you, cut out seven strips, 2cm wide. Cut strips in half crossways. Trim two corners from each to represent palings.
- Cut remaining icing into 14 strips, 1.5cm wide by 3cm long. Alternately, arrange all strips around cake to make a fence, as pictured.
- Place reserved frosting into a piping bag, fitted with a 7mm star nozzle (8 point). Pipe around edge of cake. Sprinkle biscuits in the centre.
- Decorate with mini flowers and vegetable cake toppers. Insert chalkboard sign.
Edible Vegetable Garden Cake Toppers are available online from Etsy (etsy.com/au). Piping nozzle and bags are available from cake decorating stores and on online.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||68.4 g|
|- Sugars||51.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.9 g|