Who needs bread buns when eggplant is so delicious and does the job even better? You'll love these delicious Mediterranean burgers for a change
- 250 g bulb mozzarella
- 2 x 500 g eggplants
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- rocket leaves, to serve
- sliced tomato, to serve
- basil pesto, to serve
- 500 g lamb mince
- ⅓ cup dried breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup drained pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 Tbsp basil pesto
- 1 egg yolk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To make patties, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Divide into four equal portions. Shape each into a 9cm round patty. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut four x 1cm thick slices from mozzarella. Reserve remaining cheese for another use.
- Cut eggplants into 2cm thick rounds. Brush combined garlic and 2 tbsps of the oil over both sides of eggplant. Season. Brush remaining oil over both sides of patties.
- Heat a large, oiled, char-grill plate over a medium to low heat. Add eggplant. Cover with foil. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until tender. Remove. Keep warm.
- Add patties to hot grill plate. Cover with foil. Cook for about 6 minutes on each side, or until just cooked through. Top with cheese. Re-cover. Cook for a further 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top half the eggplant with rocket, patties, tomato and pesto. Top with remaining eggplant.
For covered barbecues, close lid when cooking and omit foil. We used fresh basil pesto, available in the chilled section at supermarkets.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||24.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||24.6 g|
|- Sugars||10.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||8.2 g|