A bright bowl of fresh vegies is filled with all sorts of healthy goodness! Add chook to make it hearty.
- 1 bunch small fresh beetroot, trimmed
- 1 sweet potato, diced into 2cm pieces
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, diced into 2cm pieces
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- sea salt flakes to season
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 250 ml dry white wine
- 50 g butter, chopped
- 25 g Parmesan, finely grated
- fresh baby beet leaves, to garnish
- 1 cup coarsely grated unpeeled zucchini
- ½ cup basil
- ½ cup parsley
- ¼ clove garlic, finely grated
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted, cooled
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanforced (200°C conventional). Wrap whole beetroot in baking paper and foil then arrange on an oven tray. Roast for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a knife. Set aside, still wrapped up, for 15 minutes or until just cool enough to handle. Remove beetroot skins by rubbing the skin off with your fingers (use disposable kitchen gloves to avoid staining your hands) then dice beetroot flesh into 1cm pieces. Set aside
- Meanwhile, to make zucchini pesto, put all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor. Season. Process until a rough paste forms. Spoon into a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Increase oven to 200°C fanforced. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Arrange sweet potato and chicken on separate trays, drizzle each with 1 Tbsp of the oil, scatter with thyme and season. Roast for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sweet potato is tender
- Meanwhile, to cook risotto, put stock in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Heat remaining oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until onion is soft. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until rice begins to turn translucent. Pour in wine. Cook, stirring, until wine is absorbed.
- Add ½ cup of the hot stock and cook, stirring constantly, with a flat-bottomed wooden spoon until liquid is absorbed. Repeat with remaining stock, only adding more once previous addition is absorbed. (Takes about 20 minutes.)
- Remove pan from heat and stir in butter, parmesan and ½ of the chicken pieces. Season.
- Top risotto with beetroot, sweet potato and remaining chicken. Garnish with baby beetroot leaves and dollop with a little of the zucchini pesto. Swirl vegetables and pesto through at the table, and serve immediately with remaining pesto on the side to add as you desire
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||10.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||69.1 g|
|- Sugars||7.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.2 g|