This Indonesian classic is made even better with cucumbers pickled with lime juice and ginger… and it's quicker than you might think!
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 3 Tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 165 ml can coconut milk
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 8 chicken thigh cutlets, skinless
- 450 g microwave rice (we used jasmine)
- ¼ cup coriander, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- sea salt flakes, and finely ground pepper, to taste
- micro herbs (such as red mustard and purple cabbage), to garnish
- Thai basil, to garnish
- lime, cut into wedges, to serve
Quick pickled cucumbers
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp finely grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- Put peanut butter, lime juice, 1 Tbsp of the kecap manis, 60ml of the coconut milk, ginger, garlic and sesame oil in a medium jug and stir to combine. Pour ½ of the mixture into a large zip-lock bag and add chicken. Seal bag and massage well to coat chicken. Set aside for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanforced (200°C conventional). Line a large roasting pan with baking paper. Arrange chicken in dish, in a single layer, skin-side up. Roast for 30 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, put all quick pickled cucumber ingredients into a large bowl, toss and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse.
- Meanwhile, put remaining peanut butter mixture in a small saucepan with remaining kecap manis and remaining coconut milk. Heat over a medium heat and stir for 5 minutes or until hot. Set aside.
- Heat rice following pack instructions. Transfer to a large bowl, stir in coriander and season.
- Serve chicken with rice, satay sauce, quick pickled cucumbers, herbs, extra coriander, chilli and lime wedges
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||18.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||56.2 g|
|- Sugars||15.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.1 g|