A family fave for yonks – just add a mashed avo and it will be more luscious than ever! Boost your favourite bake with a decent dose of veg.
- cooking oil spray, to grease
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 500 g carrots, peeled, coarsely grated
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 100 g walnuts, finely chopped, plus extra 1 cup, finely chopped, plus extra ½ cup, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- finely grated zest of 3 lemons
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 g blueberries, to serve
- blueberry leaves, to decorate (do not eat - decoration only)
Lemon ricotta frosting
- 250 g fresh ricotta
- 50 g butter, chopped, softened
- ½ cup icing sugar mixture
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 160°C fanforced (180°C conventional). Grease a 22cm round loose-bottomed cake tin with cooking oil then line base
and sides with baking paper.
- Sift flour, bicarb, baking powder into a large bowl. Add grated carrot, brown sugar and walnuts, then stir until just combined
- Put oil, eggs, avocado, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until just combined. Pour into carrot mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared tin, and smooth with the back of a spoon. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside in tin for 15 minutes to cool then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make lemon ricotta frosting, put all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth
- Cover side of cooled cake with a thin layer of frosting, and spread remaining on top. Firmly press extra finely chopped walnuts around side of cake so they adhere to icing. Garnish top of cake with blueberries, extra roughly chopped walnuts and blueberry leaves (for decoration only, do not eat). Serve.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||6.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||42.4 g|
|- Sugars||23.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.5 g|