Time to give zucchini the recognition they deserve! They are a true vegie hero. Zucchini makes your muffins moist, plus the vegie content will keep you full for longer.
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch fine salt
- 440 g tinned pineapple slices in juice, drained, reserving 2 tbsp juice for frosting
- 200 g zucchini (1 approx.), roughly chopped
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp coconut essence
- fresh pineapple, cut into wedges, to garnish
- mint leaves, to garnish
- roasted coconut chips, to garnish
- green pineapple fronds, to garnish (decoration only)
Pineapple cream cheese frosting
- 2 x 250 g blocks cream cheese, chopped, room temperature
- 50 g butter, chopped, room temperature
- ½ cup icing sugar mixture
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced (200°C conventional). Line 16 holes of two 12 hole 1/3-cup capacity muffin tins with baking paper squares, with paper extending 2cm above holes.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, caster sugar, coconut, bicarb, baking powder and salt
- Put pineapple slices in a blender and blitz until smooth. Add zucchini and blitz again until pureed.
- Whisk yoghurt, oil, eggs and coconut essence in a large jug. Add to flour mixture along with pineapple puree. Stir until just combined. Pour about a heaped ¼ cup of the batter into each of the prepared tin holes. Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are just firm to touch. Set aside in tins for 5 minutes to cool then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make pineapple cream cheese frosting, put cream cheese and butter in a large bowl and beat, using electric hand mixer, for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in icing sugar and 2 Tbsp reserved pineapple juice until just incorporated. Beat again until fluffy.
- Dollop spoonfuls of the frosting on top of cooled muffins and roughly spread. Garnish with pineapple wedges, toasted coconut chips then green pineapple fronds (for decoration only, do not eat). Serve.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||20.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||64.4 g|
|- Sugars||44.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.0 g|