Amp up your empanadillas with chicken and chorizo! These meaty little bites are the perfect finger food for a fabulous party.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 800 g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 chorizo, finely chopped
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped char-grilled capsicum
- 400 g can canned diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup pitted green Sicilian olives, sliced
- 7 sheets ready-rolled shortcrust pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- coriander, to garnish
- ½ cup parsley
- 1 cup firmly packed coriander
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon thyme
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- To make filling, heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add onion, garlic and chorizo. Cook, stirring
occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in paprika, cumin and cayenne. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in capsicum, tomatoes, vinegar and salt. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir through olives. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a 10.5cm round cutter to cut out 4 rounds per sheet of pastry. Place a heaped tablespoon of mixture in the centre of each disc and spread out a little. Moisten half the edge of pastry with your finger dipped in water. Fold over dough and press edges together to seal. Pinch and fold over pastry around half moon to form decorative twisted edge, or press with the tip of a fork. Place filled empanadillas on a tray and freeze or refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease and line two large oven trays with baking paper. Place empanandillas, 3cm apart, on prepared trays. Brush with egg. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, to make mojo verde, place all ingredients in a food processor and process until pureed. Transfer to a small bowl and keep surface covered with plastic wrap until ready to serve.
- Place empanadillas on a serving board and sprinkle with coriander leaves. Serve with mojo verde
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||12.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||45.8 g|
|- Sugars||2.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.6 g|