It only takes a few ingredients to make this delicious, fancy-but-simple take on custard.
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 375 ml can sweetened condensed milk
- 300 ml pure cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- 4 free-range eggs
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Put sugar and water in a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then boil for about 8 minutes or until syrup begins to turn to a caramel colour. Pour into a 23cm x 12.5cm x 6.5cm deep (8-cup capacity) loaf pan (see tip, below) and allow to set.
- Put condensed milk, cream, milk, vanilla, egg yolks and eggs in a large bowl and whisk until smooth and combined. Allow bubbles to settle.
- Place loaf pan in a medium-sized deep-roasting dish. Pour custard on top of set caramel in pan. Pour boiling water into baking dish until water comes halfway up the sides of pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until custard is set but still has a wobble in the centre. Carefully remove pan from water and set aside to cool before refrigerating overnight.
- Run a sharp knife or metal palette knife around edge of custard. Place a serving plate, with sides to hold caramel sauce, on top of pan. Hold plate and pan together and invert. Flan will drop out onto plate. Cut into slices and serve with caramel sauce spooned over.
You can also make this delicious flan in a 20cm round cake tin that isn’t a springform pan.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||14.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||56.5 g|
|- Sugars||56.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.0 g|