This scrumptious muesli bar has it all: oats, hazelnuts, pecans, coconut, cinnamon – oh, and a drizzle of Nutella. They're perfect for an afternoon snack.
- 3 mandarin oranges, sliced into thin rounds, discard seeds and end cuts
- large bowl ice water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup raw pecan halves
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 Tbsp Nutella (per serve)
- For candied oranges. Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Boil 1 minute then place in the bowl of ice water until cooled. Drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, bring 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water and 2 tablespoons orange juice just to a boil, and heat until sugar dissolves (stir occasionally).
- Turn heat to medium-low and place orange slices in the sugar-water in a single layer.
- Simmer (do not boil) the orange slices 45-60 minutes or until rinds are slightly translucent, turning every 15 minutes
- Place orange slices on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely, (1 hour or overnight).
- If desired, sprinkle extra sugar over candied orange slices if you prefer the slices less sticky
- Use immediately or keep orange slices refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 170 C (160 if using fan forced).
- Line a tin with baking paper.
- Leave paper hanging over the edge so that the bars will be easier to remove from the pan.
- Melt the coconut oil on medium heat in the microwave (or on the stovetop).
- Add in the salt, cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla and mix until the sugar has dissolved. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well to combine
- Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into bars.
- Serve with candied oranges and drizzle Nutella over the muesli.
The orange slices can be kept up to 1 month and used as a garnish for many desserts.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||9.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||70.7 g|
|- Sugars||52.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||7.1 g|