Cake sliced and wedged between decadent layers of fluffy mascarpone cream is just a dream! We can't wait to try this with a cuppa.
- 250 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 ¾ cups self-raising flour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup maple syrup, plus extra to serve
- chopped roasted and salted macadamias, to decorate
- 300 ml tub thickened cream
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 250 g tub mascarpone
- Grease two x 22cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edges.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Mixture may look curdled.
- n two batches, add milk and combined sifted flour, spice and cinnamon, stirring until combined. Divide evenly between prepared pans. Smooth tops.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Stand in pans for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make mascarpone cream, beat cream and syrup in a small bowl of an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Fold in mascarpone.
- Slightly trim tops of cakes.
Cut cakes in half horizontally. Sandwich together, brushing each layer with 1 tablespoon syrup and spreading with 3⁄4 cup of the cream.
- Decorate top with macadamias. Just before serving, drizzle over extra syrup.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||25.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||63.8 g|
|- Sugars||41.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.0 g|