A 20-minute Russian classic that will transport you with its fragrant veal and mushroom combo. Broccolini makes the perfect side!
- 1 ½ cups risoni
- 750 g uncrumbed veal schnitzels
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 400 g sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 beef stock cube, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 250 g tub sour cream
- steamed broccolini, to serve
- steamed green beans, to serve
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, season veal with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tblsp of the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add veal in three batches. Cook for about 1 minute on each side, or until browned and just cooked through. Remove. Cut diagonally into 5cm wide pieces.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan over a medium to high heat. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add
paste. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add combined stock cube, sauce and 1/3 cup water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Stir in sour cream until melted. Return veal. Turn to coat in sauce. Remove from heat.
- Serve veal and sauce with risoni, broccolini and beans. Garnish with parsley.
Stroganoff can be served with any short pasta. For a change, try mashed potato, boiled halved baby potatoes or rice
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||14.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||79.4 g|
|- Sugars||12.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.3 g|