An indulgent sweet for grown-ups, and since there's Kahlua in both the brownies and choc icing, the taste really comes through – make sure you hide them from the kids!
- 150 g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 free-range eggs
- ⅔ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup Kahlua
For the icing
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 40 g butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- 1 Tbsp Kahlua
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter, caster sugar and cocoa into a large saucepan. Cook, stirring regularly, over a low heat for 5 minutes or until butter has melted and ingredients are combined.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the vanilla extract, eggs, plain flour and Kahlua. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely in the tin before making the icing.
- Place all of the icing ingredients into a small bowl and mix together until combined. Use a spatula or a butter knife to smear the icing over the top of the completely cooled brownies. Give the icing 20 minutes to set and then cut into pieces and enjoy.
● You can also enjoy these brownies without the icing. Just dust with a little icing sugar.
● They will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
● If your icing is too stiff and not coming together, add an extra teaspoon of boiling water.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||9.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||34.9 g|
|- Sugars||27.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.5 g|