This is one of our all-time favourite Calabrese dishes. Like much of southern Italy’s food it’s vegetarian, but the rich, delicate flavours are just remarkable!
- 4 medium eggplants, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- sea salt flakes and pepper to season
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup smooth ricotta
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp raisins, chopped
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped (optional)
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped mint
- juice 1 lemon
- 2 cups passata
- shaved Parmesan, to serve
- basil, to serve
- crusty bread, to serve
- Season both sides of eggplant slices with salt and pepper, then dust with flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook eggplant in 3 batches, for 1–2 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Wipe pan clean and set aside.
- Combine ricotta, parmesan, raisins, pine nuts, anchovies (if using), egg yolks, parsley, mint and lemon juice in a large bowl. Season to taste
- Lay eggplant slices on a large board. Put a heaped tablespoon of ricotta mixture into centres. Fold over sides of eggplant to enclose and make pillows
- Pour half the passata over the base of clean pan. Arrange eggplant pillows on top. Top with remaining passata. Cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes or until bubbling
- Top with shaved parmesan and basil leaves. Serve with crusty bread.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||7.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||58.4 g|
|- Sugars||29.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||17.4 g|